BERSIH 2.0 Pengalaman Marina Mahathir

Marina Mahathir, begitulah nama yang tidak asing pada rakyat Malaysia. Walaupun bapanya Tun Mahathir tidak bersetuju dengan tindakan anak perempuannya ini dalam DEMO BERSIH, Marina tetap mahu bersama rakan-rakannya untuk berjalan secara aman untuk demokrasi bagi menuntut pilihanraya yang adil dan bersih.

Marina memang terkenal dengan sikapnya yang radikal dan liberal. Ambiga adalah rakan Marina yang banyak membantu Marina dalam banyak kes yang melibatkan hak asasi bagi membela beberapa kumpulan terpinggir seperti pesakit HIV- ADIS, kelompok gay dan lesbians, hak wanita tertindas, dan kelompok minoriti yang memilih agama mereka sendiri. Walaubagaimana pun, Marina telah terbuka hati untuk mengikuti Demo BERSIH 2.0 bersama rakan-rakannya yang percaya kepada perlunya ketelusan dan profesionalisma dalam pengendalian piiliharaya di negara ini.

Tahniah kepada Marina Mahathir! Kita boleh berbangga Marina dapat merasai kesakitan, kesengsaraan, keperitan, dan kepayahan yang dihayati oleh rakyat yang cinta kepada demokrasi yang adil. Marina tidak perlu bergelar Profesor untuk memahami bahawa beza antara pilihanraya yang bersih lagi adil dengan demokrasi yang tidak sempurna. Senator Profesor Datuk Dr. Firdaus, ahli sidang Dewan Negara, berkata kita tidak boleh jumpa demokrasi yang sempurna dan kita tidak perlu berarak di jalanraya untuk menyempurnakan demokrasi.

Marina menulis di bawah ini:

So I went.

I have to say that the night before I had many many misgivings, especially after reading about the army doing exercises with the FRU. Could the government seriously be contemplating shooting their own people? Who knows? My stomach was in knots thinking about the many young people I knew who were intent on going, including my daughter. Would I be able to forgive myself if something happened to them?
After seeking advice from various friends, I finally decided that I could not stay safely at home while my daughter, friends and colleagues faced possible danger. I had to walk with them. Besides even if I stayed home, I would have spent all my time worrying. So I had to go.

A friend who lived in the city offered to be my protector and together we devised a plan on what to do. Hubby was supportive and gave some advice on how to stay safe. My neighbours also wanted to come along. So fairly earlyish, my friend drove over to get me with no problem and we headed back into the city. Despite the roadblocks in some areas, we encountered no problems. In fact driving into KL was so pleasant because the roads were so clear. The police directed traffic where they had to and were generally cooperative ( except for one we saw arguing with a man trying to get into his own condo). We got to a roadblock in the KLCC area and my friend explained that he lived in the area and they let us through, four people in a car dressed as if we were going hiking!

From my friend’s apartment block, we walked to Times Square and parked ourselves at the Starbucks for a coffee while we waited. A cursory look around the outlet and mall revealed that many people were doing the same thing. Meanwhile a whole van of police was stationed outside the mall but after a while they all went off.

We kept in touch with various friends around the city to find out where they were and what the situation was. At about 12.30 we started to walk up Jalan Hang Tuah towards the stadium area. We were not in big groups, just people out on a weekend stroll. We thought we would encounter police in front of the big police headquarters in front of Pudu Jail but there was nothing. When we got to the corner of Jalan Hang Jebat, we saw some police motorcycles and only a couple of cops. Lots of people were just sitting on the curbside under the eye of the cops. It was pretty clear what all these people were there for.

We walked along Jalan Hang Jebat in front of Stadium Negara towards the OCM and found many other friends waiting there. Apparently at one point the cops had given chase even though there was no reason to and caught some people and hauled them off. But from then on we could sit and wait by the curb without anyone disturbing us.

Jalan Hang Jebat and the small road that led up to Stadium Merdeka stayed pretty quiet. Members of the Bar Council (who had to suffer wearing their suits in the heat just so that we could spot them easily) walked around observing what was happening. At one point one woman in a suit sat herself at the intersection to take notes.

One lone woman lawyer at her station, Jln Hang Jebat

We all debated whether to stay there or move down to Petaling Street but we were afraid that we wouldn’t be let back up again. Then it started to rain. My friend and I sought shelter under some hoarding along with young people. Just then I got a message that we were to go to KL Sentral. After confirming this with a friend at Sentral, my friends and I started to walk down Hang Jebat just as a large group of people started walking up. The rain was pouring at that point and I didn’t know quite what to do, whether to tell people they should turn round or not.

Seeking shelter for a while under a shop five-foot way, I talked to various other friends and eventually decided to head back to the stadium area where I found my daughter and lots of other friends there. The main group earlier had gone up to Stadium Merdeka, did some chanting in front of the FRU and then headed down again. But many people hung about just to observe everything and soak in the atmosphere. One group of young people had yellow ribbons on sticks and started a little dance. Others were buying ice cream from a bicycle vendor who came by. There was a real carnival atmosphere.

Here’s a video of the rally yesterday taken by my daughter. As you can see, it was peaceful. And every time some people started chanting ‘reformasi’, someone else would start a louder chant of ‘Bersih’.

I have to say that I never felt safer than when I was in the crowd. People recognized me and said hello. Some wanted to take photos. It didn’t feel any different from any other Saturday out. And to be perfectly fair, the cops and FRU in my area showed admirable restraint. They saw that people were not doing anything more than chanting and nobody was harming anyone so they just stood there and left everyone to do their thing. We came across a whole FRU unit blocking a lane next to the Chinese temple at the roundabout at the bottom of Jalan Maharajalela, waved at them and they waved. Cool cops!

Of course not everyone had the same experience. Here’s an account from a colleague who was in a different street:

Unfortunately my experience wasn’t so benign. I was part of the marchers (along with A and others) who were effectively kettled by the police in Jalan Pudu. FRU units to the front and back of us prevented us from leaving, and we were trapped by the walls of a construction site opposite Tung Shin Hospital after the FRUs pushed us back. It was probably the worst of the hotspots because of that: when the police started firing round after round of tear gas at us, we had nowhere to run to. I think they were determined to make an example out of us, because they bloody well tear-gassed and sprayed us with water cannons when they had no reason to do so.

We were all tear-gassed at least three, four times. An NGO staffer was hit by a canister. V told me that she saw people jumping off the second floor of the Puduraya bus terminal because the police had released tear gas too close to the terminal and the wind carried the fumes into the enclosed building. When the marchers ran for shelter in Tung Shin Hospital, the police fired tear gas and water cannons INTO the hospital grounds. Later the police lured us into re-assembling on the road on the pretext of negotiating a peaceful dispersal. They arrested the MP (Sivarasa) who was doing the negotiating, then — after ordering us to sit down so (as we realised later) we would be sitting ducks — they fired more tear gas and water cannons at us. A, myself and our companions eventually managed to find a way out from the trap via the Santo Antonius church and (irony of ironies) the car park of the Hang Tuah police station (near the monorail station). There were so many very brave people yesterday.

I now know that smearing toothpaste under the eyes to reduce irritation caused by tear gas actually works (thanks, A)! I’m still itchy and short of breath from all that tear gas, which is a bit annoying. But really, mostly what I remember of the rally was how moving it was: the solidarity among the protesters, how people looked out for one another. Whenever I was tear-gassed there was a stranger running along at my side and offering me and my friends salt to counteract the effects. When the police sprayed chemical-laced water cannons into the crowd and the people affected cried out for water to wash the stuff away, others turned and ran back toward the cannons with bottles of water to help. People helped others climb up a hill towards the hospital to escape (some guy helped me up the steep slope). Someone always stepped up to make sure that a panicked run doesn’t turn into a stampede, including an elderly woman who took it upon herself to guide the marchers to safety. She’s a first-time marcher to boot! Actually there were lots of first-time marchers, and more young middle-class urbanites than I’ve ever seen at any other rallies including the 2007 Bersih rally. At one point people started picking up the tear gas canisters and throwing them back at the police, or kicking the canisters safely away from the marchers and bystanders. I heard via the #bersihstories Twitter hashtag when the police fired tear gas into Tung Shin, there were people who grabbed the canisters and wrapped them in their own towels, then threw the canisters into the drain so there wouldn’t be so much fumes.

And another one, about people’s goodness:
My group has a lovely little story to tell as well, of how we escaped from the Tung Shin hospital area after one of the tear gas attacks.  We took a little alley uphill between the shophouses, and there was a block of flats there.  One of the residents told us to go through the building to get out through the back!  We climbed upstairs and then along the opposite corridor a woman shouted and pointed, “That way, go that way, there is an exit out the back!” and we scuttled along our corridor, down the back stairs and found ourselves safe outside on Changkat Tung Shin or something like that.Rakyat all contributing in their own ways!

There are many stories and photos, both good and bad, of the whole event. But to me what was most important was that Malaysians proved two things: one, they can assemble together on a common cause peacefully and two, therefore showed that they are a mature people. The fact is that there were all kinds of people there, young and old, all races and religions and all classes and creeds. I bumped into many young people, the children of my friends, who had come to see what it was all about and decide for themselves what to think about the issue.

Do these people look like hooligans to you?
 Whatever one thinks about the issue that Bersih is espousing, we should all be proud of our fellow Malaysians who did not, despite dire predictions by some, behave like hooligans and destroy property and hurt one another. There were people hurt and one death but people who had participated in the rally did not cause them. The restaurants and shops around the area were doing roaring business as people got thirsty and hungry.

There are also some people claiming that the world now has a bad impression of Malaysia because the foreign media (and the local media for that matter) reported only about the teargassing and water-cannoning. I think people are confusing the government with the people. Yes, the world now has a bad impression of the Malaysiangovernment because it has handled this whole issue so badly. They don’t have the same impression of the Malaysians who stood up for their rights and their cause.

This is what gives a good impression: protestors and police shaking hands before dispersing at 4pm.
And by the way, I can’t believe some of the mean things being said about the man who died after being teargassed! My goodness, every time I read totally uncompassionate things like that, I know that I’m on the right side.
For more accounts by people who were there, read this.

4 thoughts on “BERSIH 2.0 Pengalaman Marina Mahathir

  1. Nordin Omor July 12, 2011 at 9:31 am Reply

    Saper nak translate cerita anak cek det ni,,nanti diputaralam lak oleh sibapaknya…lagi bagus cek det turut sama BERSIH 2.0

  2. albangi July 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm Reply

    Polis bertindak melampau ke atas peserta Bersih, kata Majlis Peguam

    KUALA LUMPUR, 12 Julai — Polis telah bertindak secara “rambang, sembarangan dan melampau” dengan menggunakan meriam air dan gas pemedih mata dalam jarak yang dekat serta di bawah aras mata terhadap peserta Himpunan Bersih 2.0 pada Sabtu lalu, kata laporan pemerhatian Majlis Peguam.

    Laporan itu mengatakan polis melepaskan gas pemedih mata dengan tujuan mahu menyebabkan kecederaan.

    Pada Sabtu lalu, Majlis Peguam telah meletakkan anggotanya di beberapa lokasi untuk memantau perhimpunan itu.

    Ia mendedahkan perhimpunan anjuran Gabungan Pilihan Raya Bersih dan Adil (Bersih 2.0) berjalan dalam suasana aman sekiranya polis tidak melepaskan gas pemedih mata ke atas peserta.

    Presiden Majlis Peguam Lim Chee Wee (gambar) berkata, pihaknya akan membentangkan hasil laporan itu kepada Ketua Polis Negara Tan Sri Ismail Omar pada pertemuan yang dijangka akan diadakan minggu ini.

    Pasukan pemantauan itu, kata Lim, melaporkan beberapa insiden kecil di mana peserta berkelakuan liar dengan melempar botol air mineral ke atas wartawan stesen televisyen.

    Mereka lakukan dengan aman, kata Lim sambil menambah, peserta perhimpunan melaungkan “Hidup Rakyat”, “Bersih” dan “Reformasi” selain turut menyanyikan lagu “Negara Ku” semasa dalam perjalanan ke Stadium Merdeka sebelum dihalang polis.

    Bagaimanapun polis, menurut Lim, telah menggunakan senjata seperti gas pemedih mata dan meriam air secara “rambang, sembarangan dan melampau” untuk menghuraikan peserta.

    “Ada beberapa pegawai yang menyatakan polis telah memberi amaran sebelum menggunakan gas pemedih mata dan meriam air. Bagaimanapun ia begitu sukar untuk kumpulan yang besar mendengar apa yang dikatakan,” katanya semasa menyampaikan kesimpulan laporan perhimpunan itu.

    Lim menambah ada satu insiden yang menyaksikan peserta berkumpul beramai-ramai di belakang Kompleks Dayabumi kerana tiada jalan untuk melarikan diri daripada gas pemedih mata yang dilepaskan polis.

    “Ia juga berlaku di kawasan Puduraya. Anda melepaskan tembakan di kedua-dua arah tanpa ada jalan melarikan diri. Anda sepatutnya menembak untuk menyuraikan peserta … semua strategi ini tidak perlu dilakukan,” katanya.

    Lim berkata berdasarkan dua laporan Suhakam, polis telah melakukan kesilapan pada Sabtu lalu kerana gagal mengawal perhimpunan itu.

    “Anda tidak perlu menggunakan gas pemedih mata dan meriam air … anda boleh gunakan pendekatan memujuk dengan peserta. Polis sepatutnya mengurangkan menggunakan senjata.

    “Pegawai polis yang ditugaskan untuk menangani perhimpunan perlu mencari pemimpin dan tarik perhatian mereka. Jika mereka tetap mahu bergerak dan mengganggu ketenteraman awam, sepatutnya beritahu kepada mereka agar tidak bergerak, kemudian tanya kepada mereka berapa lama masa diperlukan untuk berucap dan selepas selesai, mereka akan bersurai,” katanya.

    Lim berkata terdapat seorang pegawai polis bernama “Suhaimi” telah menunjukkan toleransi sementara ramai di kalangan mereka sikap yang tidak sepatutnya.

    “Ada pelbagai sikap di kalangan mereka. Seperti — saya mahu lawan anda kerana anda mahu lawan dengan saya … saya mahu tangkap anda dan pukul anda sehingga jatuh dan menangkap anda. Pemikiran seperti ini perlu diubah. Polis sepatutnya bertindak melindungi kita, membantu menjayakan perhimpunan bukan bertindak menindas,” katanya.

    Lim juga menambah cara polis menangani peserta perhimpunan dengan menggunakan gas pemedih mata dalam jarak yang dekat dan di bawah paras mata seolah-olah mahu mencederakan bukan menyuraikan.

    “Jika menggunakan dengan cara tertentu, ia boleh menjadi senjata membunuh. Kami juga menyaksikan sendiri bagaimana polis menyerang peserta,” katanya tetapi menambah, pihaknya tidak memperoleh sebarang rakaman video berhubung keganasan polis.

    Beliau menambah Ismail bersetuju untuk mengadakan pertemuan dan pihaknya akan menggesa polis agar menjalankan siasatan secara komprehensif berhubung perhimpunan Sabtu lalu dan melibatkan Suhakam – MalaysianInsider

  3. albangi July 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm Reply

    Bersih 2.0: Suhakam dakwa tindakan polis cabuli hak asasi

    KUALA LUMPUR, 12 Julai — Pesuruhjaya Suruhanjaya Hak Asasi Manusia (Suhakam) Muhammad Sha’ani Abdullah mengencam kekerasan dilakukan polis semasa bertindak menangkap peserta Himpunan Bersih 2.0 sambil menyifatkan ia pencabulan hak asasi manusia.

    “Ini adalah isu yang besar, semua mangsa harus tampil ke depan dan kemukakan aduan secara terus supaya kita boleh memperkukuhkan bahan bukti yang diperoleh.

    “Cara yang dilakukan polis untuk menangani peserta perhimpunan adalah satu tindakan yang tidak bertanggungjawab, satu pencabulan, satu penyalahgunaan kuasa dan ia bertentangan dengan hak asasi manusia,” katanya pada sesi dialog dengan Dewan Pemuda PAS pusat yang mengemukakan empat pelanggaran dilakukan pihak keselamatan pada Sabtu lalu.

    Sha’ani yang turut memantau perhimpunan anjuran Gabungan Pilihan Raya Bersih dan Adil (Bersih) menegaskan tindakan polis menangkap peserta dan menempatkan mereka di Balai Polis Jinjang dan Pusat Latihan Polis Kuala Lumpur (Pulapol) juga merupakan satu pencabulan.

    “Tahan mereka di Balai Polis Jinjang dan Pulapol juga merupakan satu pencabulan, mereka (polis) telah merancang untuk tahan mereka, ia sekadar penahanan sahaja bukan untuk diambil keterangan.

    “Kita tidak boleh terima tindakan begitu dalam negara yang dikatakan negara maju, polis telah aniaya mereka dengan menggunakan kekerasan, peserta ditangkap, digari kemudian diarahkan menaiki trak dengan tangan di belakang,” katanya dengan nada kesal.

    Tambah Sha’ani, beliau menyifatkan tindakan yang dilakukan pihak keselamatan ke atas peserta Himpunan Bersih 2.0 sebagai “orang yang tiada pelajaran.”
“Pihak itu tidak berpelajaran, mereka pakai uniform, pakai lencana… mereka tiada hak untuk bertindak kasar terhadap sesiapapun.

    “Kami mahu kerajaan memastikan institusi polis menjaga kelakuan petugas supaya menghormati sesiapa yang mereka tangani,” tegasnya.

    Pada Sabtu lalu, lebih 1,600 peserta termasuk pimpinan Gabungan Pilihan Raya Bersih dan Adil (Bersih) dan Pakatan Rakyat ditahan.

    Bagaimanapun kesemua peserta yang ditahan dilepaskan dengan jaminan polis dan Peguam Negara akan menentukan tindakan ke atas mereka.

    Menteri Dalam Negeri Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein menafikan pihak keselamatan bertindak ganas sewaktu perhimpunan itu. – MI

  4. albangi July 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm Reply

    Marina anak Mahathir menulis dalam blognya “Jadi saya pergi”

    “Saya telah mengatakan bahawa sebelum ini saya rasa ragu-ragu, terutama selepas membaca tentang tentera melakukan latihan dengan FRU. Mungkinkah kerajaan serius akan mempertimbangkan untuk menembak rakyatnya sendiri? Siapa tahu? Banyak yang saya fikirkan. Memikirkan ramai anak muda yang saya tahu mempunyai niat berterusan untuk pergi, termasuk anak perempuan saya. Adakah saya dapat memaafkan diri saya jika sesuatu berlaku kepada mereka?”

    Selepas mendapatkan nasihat daripada rakan-rakan dari pelbagai kaum, akhirnya saya memutuskan bahawa saya tidak boleh tinggal dengan selamat di rumah manakala anak perempuan saya, kawan-kawan dan rakan-rakan sekerja menghadapi bahaya yang mungkin. Saya telah berjalan dengan mereka. Selain itu walaupun saya tinggal di rumah dengan menghabiskan masa saya asyik bimbang. Jadi saya terpaksa pergi.

    Seorang kawan yang tinggal di bandar yang ditawarkan untuk menjadi pelindung kepada aya dan bersama-sama merancang apa yang perlu dilakukan. Hubby menyokong dan memberikan beberapa nasihat tentang bagaimana untuk kekal selamat.

    Jiran-jiran saya juga mahu datang bersama-sama. Jadi adil earlyish, kawan saya memandu untuk mendapatkan saya dengan tiada masalah dan kami menuju semula ke bandar. Walaupun sekatan jalanraya di beberapa kawasan, kami tiada masalah.

    Malah memandu ke KL begitu menyenangkan kerana jalan lengang. Pihak polis mengarahkan lalu lintas di mana mereka terpaksa dan koperasi secara amnya (kecuali bagi salah satu yang kita lihat berhujah dengan seorang lelaki yang cuba masuk ke dalam kondo sendiri). Kami mendapat satu roadblock di kawasan KLCC dan teman saya menjelaskan bahawa dia tinggal di kawasan ini dan mereka membiarkan kita melalui, empat orang di dalam kereta yang berpakaian seolah-olah kita akan hiking!

    Selapas ini jangan hairan Kalau Tun Mahathir minta Najib Undir daripada PM!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: